You are here
Teacher Checklist and Other Resources
We are excited you are bringing your students on a field trip to the Natural History Museum of Utah. The following information is intended to help you prepare yourself for a successful and highly engaging learning experience.
Previewing the Museum
You and your teaching team are encouraged to visit the Museum before your visit. You can visit for free by printing off your confirmation email and presenting it with your ID at the ticket desk. Our visitor services staff will print you a Teacher Preview Ticket.
Only teachers coming on a field trip are able to preview the Museum for free.
Payment is due upon your arrival. A Museum Greeter will assist you with this.
If you are a sponsored field trip and need to pay for additional chaperones, we expect you to have collected the money prior to the day of the field trip and to pay the Museum for all additional chaperones at one time.
The Museum accepts checks, credit and debit cards, and cash. If you need to make a payment with a P.O. you will need to contact us prior to your visit in order to make that arrangement.
If you have received confirmation for your lunch reservation, you should be aware of the following:
- You may eat only during your designated lunchtime and only in the designated lunch area.
- The designated lunch space for school groups is the Community Room. It is located on Level 2 right by the group entrance and near the Café.
- Your group should leave the galleries a few minutes early in order to arrive at the Community Room on time for lunch.
- Please make sure your students are not eating in the Canyon, near the Café, or on tables outside.
- The Museum will provide wagons for you to store your lunches in. They will be available upon your arrival, and will be stored in the Community Room where you will be eating your lunch. They will have signs that identify your School, your scheduled lunchtime, and the number of individuals eating at that time.
- You and your chaperones should have students wash their hands in the restrooms, which can be found on every level near the elevators. Please allow enough time to exit the galleries, wash hands, and arrive at the Community Room on time for lunch.
- You and your students will be responsible for cleaning up after yourselves. Please use the sprays, rags, brooms, and dustpans available in the Community Room.
Double-Check Your Date!
When you are scheduling your buses, sending out requests for chaperones and permission slips, and putting your field trip on the school calendar, please double check the date you are scheduled to come as listed in your confirmation email.
Need to make changes to your reservation?
We understand that situations may come up that will cause a need to reschedule. In light of this, we will allow you to reschedule your visit one time. Please let us know at your earliest convenience, as dates fill up quickly.
* We may not be able accommodate your change in date. Also, if the date you are requesting is in a different month, there may not be available funds to sponsor your students. If you need to change your date more than once or the date you would like to change to is not available, we will close your request and you will need to submit a new one if you would like to come on a field trip to the Museum.
If you have to cancel your visit, please let us know as soon as possible.
Bringing More Students or Chaperones
We understand that numbers of students can fluctuate. However, if there is a large change in numbers, please let us know as soon as possible. We schedule our days in accordance with the numbers you provide. We ask that you do not bring another class unexpectedly, as we may not be able to accommodate them at the same time as your original group. This may also result in longer wait times for them to enter the Museum.
You are welcome to contact us via email at email@example.com or call 801.581.5567 to see if we can make the adjustment, but there is no guarantee that a large addition to your numbers can be accommodated.