You are here
Visitor Services Volunteer
Department: Visitor Services
Position Summary: : Visitor Services Volunteers will work directly with staff to welcome Museum guests, help them plan their visits, and provide excellent customer service to create a top-notch experience. They will provide way-finding assistance throughout the building and will answer questions over a wide range of topics from bathroom locations to dinosaur names. They will serve as ambassadors of the Trailhead to Utah mobile phone/iPad program, and will help visitors access and use the system with their own devices or those checked out at the front desk.
Skills and Abilities:
- A passion for people and a love of natural history subjects
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to interact with strangers
- Deep understanding of the NHMU experience and offerings, including Trailhead to Utah
- Basic computer skills and strong facility with iPad/mobile phone applications
- Good problem-solving abilities
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods
- Ability to speak a second language, especially Spanish, desired
Requirements for Classroom Assistants:
- Previous classroom or informal education experience preferred
- Previous education background preferred
- Enjoys work with children
- Punctual and dependable
- An interest in Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and/or Math
- Interest in learning informal education strategies
- NHMU General Orientation – Saturday, May 18, 9:00am-1:00pm or Saturday, June 15, 9:00am – 1:00pm
- Visitor Services Basics –Wednesday May 22, 5:00-7:00pm or Saturday July 27, 1:00-3:00pm
- Trailhead to Utah – Wednesday, May 29, 5:00-7:00pm or Wednesday July 31, 5:00-7:00pm
Shifts are available daily from 9:00am – 12:00pm; 12:00pm -3:00pm
Wednesdays from 4:00-7:00pm or 5:00-8:00pm
Weekday Services Volunteers will work one three-hour shift per week.
Weekend Visitor Services Volunteers will work two three-hour shifts per month.
Age Requirement: 18 years minimum
Background checks are required for all volunteers.