Your cart is empty.
Position Summary: Gallery Interpreters will use conversation, demonstrations, hands-on activities, and games to engage visitors and spark excitement, curiosity, and appreciation for the natural world in Life and Great Salt Lake Exhibits.
Department: Public Programs
Supervisor: Gallery Programs Coordinator, Paulmichael Maxfield
- Create an engaging atmosphere for visitor interaction and questions
- Facilitate hands-on activities, demonstrations and games
- Effectively communicate information to visitors about the galleries and the Museum
- Enjoyment of lifelong learning, especially regarding science
- Sincere interest and/or background in science and serving the general pubic
- Ability to be courteous, respectful, and patient with visitors
- Desire to learn as well as teach
- Willingness to participate in ongoing education to develop interpreter skills and knowledge
- Cooperative nature, including the ability to accept instruction and correction
- Ability to adapt quickly in changing circumstances
- Good oral communication skills
- Professional manner and neat appearance
- Ability to stand and talk for extended periods of time
One 4 hour general Orientation for all new volunteers (choose one) -
- Saturday, Sept. 21, 2013 9am-1pm
- Saturday October 19, 2013 9am-1pm
One 3-hour class on interpreter basics –
- Saturday, October 26, 2013 9am-12pm
Two 3-hour classes on gallery specific information -
- Saturday, November 2, 2013 9am-12pm
- Wed, November 6, 2013 6-9pm
- Weekday GIs: One 3 ¼ hour shift per week
- Weekend GIs: One 3 ¼ hour shift every other week
- Weekday and Weekend shifts available from 10:00am-1:15pm and 12:45-4:00pm
- Strongly encouraged to volunteer for at least 1 Free Monday (Monday, October 14, January 13, April 14, July 14)
- A one year commitment of service. On the floor training and regular shifts begin Nov. 3, 2013.
Age Requirement: 18 years or older
Background checks are required for all volunteers.