Junior Science Academy is FULL for the 2015 -2016 school year. (Home Education Days registration still available)
You are welcome to submit a request form, however, because there are no more available sessions, your request will be put on our waiting list.
The Natural History Museum of Utah is proud to offer Junior Science Academy, a program that enables fourth and fifth-grade classes to engage in science from new perspectives.
Core-based Science Education at NHMU
For teachers, JSA is an engaging learning experience designed to meet Utah's Core Curriculum Objectives and Intended Learning Outcomes through hands-on, inquiry-based activities and authentic learning experiences that help build understanding and strengthen your students' science processing skills.
Junior Science Academy Program Information
- JSA Classes will be offered from September 9, 2015 - May 20, 2016
- Classes will be held at the Museum and led by Museum educators
- Fourth Grade programs include four subjects (anthropology, biology, geology, paleontology) that are each two hours long
- The Fifth Grade program covers observable inherited traits and is two hours long
- Each class coming from your school must be registered separately for JSA
- Core Curriculum-aligned pre & post visit activities will be provided upon confirmation of your reservation.
- Submit a JSA Reservation Request
Home School Information
During the 2015-2016 school year, the Natural History Museum of Utah is offering Junior Science Academy classes at no cost to home school third-fifth grade students during the museum's Home Education Days. Junior Science Academy is an engaging learning experience designed to meet Utah's Core Curriculum Standards and Objectives and Intended Learning Outcomes through hands-on, inquiry-based activities and authentic learning experiences. Pre-registration is required. To register please submit a JSA Reservation Request form. In the school type box state you are a home school. In the comments field please state if you are willing to be one of the chaperones in the class and also if you would be willing to just drop your student off. We will need some parents to help facilitate the program but not every parent will be needed. If you have any questions regarding Junior Science Academy, please contact Christine Briscoe at 801.581.6286
We can only offer one Junior Science Academy Class per student in an academic year.
September 14, 2015
Junior Science Academy Class - Anthropology (Pre-registration required)
December 1, 2015
Junior Science Academy Class - Geology (Pre-registration required)
January 19, 2016
Junior Science Academy Class - Biology (Pre-registration required)
- With advance reservations, Utah Public and Charter Schools can qualify for a limited number of sponsored Junior Science Academy classes through generous support from the Utah State Office of Education. Unsponsored JSA classes are subject to School Group Pricing. Click here for more information on School Group Pricing
- Private and independent schools, schools from outside the state of Utah, can qualify for the School Group Pricing with advanced reservations for visits that occur during the school day hours.
Sign up for the NHMU Educator Insider | Questions about JSA? Email Us