Join us at the opening of Maya: Hidden Worlds Revealed as we celebrate the living traditions of the indigenous people of Central America and Mexico. Meet artists and craftspeople as they demonstrate their work. Hear from archaeologists who will share their latest discoveries of ancient Maya life. Enjoy performances by musicians and dancers, listen to Maya stories, and get a taste of traditional food.
Members, come visit the Members-only Hospitality Suite, where you'll enjoy activities, refreshments, and a chance to take home an exciting prize.
Enjoy Maya Food from the Museum Café: tacos, tamales, soup, and drinks.
Schedule of Performances and Lectures
Featured Guests and Community Partners
- Arte Primero children’s art
- Artes de México Dia de Los Muertos altar
- Astrid Botto, Maria Guachia, & Angela Tepaz contemporary and traditional Guatemalan textiles
- Caputo’s chocolate from Maya regions
- Cultura Bakery & Café sweet breads and pastries
- Dulce Rodriguez Mexican corn husk dolls
- FamilySearch discover your Maya ancestry
- JJ Galicia Maya metal embossing
- Latin American Studies Department, Univ. of Utah Maya language and culture
- Consulado de México en Salt Lake City paper animal art activity
- Veronica Perez contemporary paintings inspired by Maya tradition
- Fulgencio Choy cultural objects
- J. Carlos Flores Maya-inspired painter
- Malcom Botto: contemporary Mayan music
- Cooperative de Hermanas Maya Weaving Traditional Maya weaving demonstrations
- Artes de México Dia de Los Muertos skeleton masks
- Corn Grinding Grind corn using a mano and metate
- Bul Game Play a traditional Maya game
- Rubbing Color Maya-inspired images
- Natural Calendar Discover how Maya used the natural world to create calendars
- Face Painting Dia de Los Muertos-inspired face painting ($5 half face / $10 full face)
¡Celebracion! is included with Museum admission. Admission is free for Museum Members, plus University of Utah faculty, staff, and students.