The Museum is pleased to offer four Free Days each year in appreciation for the important Zoo, Arts and Parks funding we receive from Salt Lake County.
Free Days 2019
2020 Free Tickets
We're evolving ZAP Free Days into ZAP Free Tickets in 2020. We'll be giving out the same number of tickets but people will have more flexibility on when they can come. Read more here.
Getting Tickets for Museum Free Days
Same day reservations not permitted.
- Advance reservations for Free Day will be made available online at 10:00 a.m. Mountain Time on the Tuesday a week before the scheduled Free Day. Reservations will remain open that week through the Sunday at Midnight prior to the scheduled Free Day.
- A limited number of tickets will be set aside for visitors who arrive on Free Day without a ticket. We encourage you to come to the Museum on Free Day even if you don't have an advance reservation. If tickets are still available, you will be admitted. You may be asked to wait until later in the day and, unfortunately, you may be turned away.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Free Day really free?
Yes, on Museum Free Day there is no paid admission for entry into the Museum. However, tickets are still required!
How do I make a Museum Free Day reservation?
Advance reservations are recommended for Museum Free Day visitors! All tickets are for a specific half-hour arrival time during the day. There is a limit of six free tickets per reservation. Reservations that exceed the six-ticket limit will be canceled.
Museum Free Days are very popular and, for many time slots, the entire reservation capacity will be used up quickly. The total number of tickets for each times slot and for the full day are limited to ensure a safe and pleasant visit for everyone. A number of tickets are held for visitors who arrive without reservations, but reservations are encouraged if you don't want to run the risk of being turned away!
For what time of day do I make my reservation?
Free Day tickets will be offered for visits starting at 10 a.m. and every half hour after that through 3:30 p.m. The last admission to the Museum's galleries will be at 4:30 p.m. The galleries close at 5 p.m., and visitors must leave the Museum at that time. The total quantity of tickets will be limited to ensure a safe and pleasant visit for all attendees.
How can I get tickets for Free Day?
- Click on “GET YOUR FREE TICKETS NOW” on the Hours and Admission webpage of the NHMU website.
- Use the dropdown to select the time for which you would like to book your tickets. Only time slots that have tickets available will be displayed.
- Please enter the quantity of tickets needed per age group totaling a max of 6 tickets.
- Click “Add to Cart”
- Complete the form. No discount code is required, your Free Day tickets will be free.
- Click “Check Out”
- You will see a confirmation screen and receive a confirmation email. The email will include a link to your e-tickets.
- Print your e-tickets or save them to your mobile device to present upon arrival at the Museum.
- With your e-tickets, you can skip the admission desk on level 1 and proceed directly to the ticket podium on level 2.
Can I make Free Day reservations by phone or via email?
Phone reservations are not available. We are not able to grant reservations through email, either. The only way to make advance reservations for Free Days is via the temporary "Reserve Free Day Tickets Here!" link on our Hours and Admission webpage starting at 10:00 a.m. MT on the Tuesday prior to each scheduled Free Day.
Can I bring school classrooms and other groups to Museum Free Day?
Due to the exceptional demand for Museum Free Day tickets, we are not able to take group reservations or school field trips on these days. Organized groups including school classes, youth groups, scout troops and aftercare programs arriving without reservations will be turned away. Please select an alternate date for these visits. You may click through to the Group Reservations and School Field Trips web pages for more information.
Where do I park for Museum Free Days?
Parking spaces at the Rio Tinto Center fill very quickly on Museum Free Days, however overflow parking will be available. When you arrive at the Museum, please look for directional signage and parking attendants to guide you to available parking.
What if I make a reservation and am then unable to attend?
If you cannot attend on Free Day after making your reservation, please inform Museum staff by replying to your reservation confirmation email. If you do not arrive by the end of your reserved half-hour time slot (for example, prior to 2:30 for a 2:00 reservation) your tickets will be released and may be issued to a visitor who arrived without a reservation.
For additional questions, email the Museum.