Your cart is empty.
Department: Public Programs
Position Summary: : Gallery Interpreters will use conversation, demonstrations, hands-on activities, and games to engage visitors and spark excitement, curiosity, and appreciation for the natural world.
- Create an engaging atmosphere for visitor interaction and questions
- Facilitate hands-on activities, demonstrations and games
- Effectively communicate information to visitors about the galleries and the Museum
- Enjoyment of lifelong learning, especially regarding science
- Sincere interest and/or background in science
- Interest in serving the general public
- Ability to be courteous, respectful, and patient with visitors
- Desire to learn as well as teach
- Cooperative nature, including the ability to accept instruction and correction
- Ability to adapt quickly in changing circumstances
- Good oral communication skills
- Professional manner and neat appearance
- Ability to stand and talk for extended periods of time
- One 3-hour class on interpreter basics
- Four 3-hour classes on “Nature Unleashed” Special Exhibit
- Strongly encouraged to volunteer for at least 1 Free Monday (Monday, July 15 or Monday, October 14) and to attend Museum lectures, tours or Science Movie Night
- Weekday GIs: One 3 1⁄4 hour shift weekly from May 25- December 8, 2013
- Weekend GIs: One 3-1/4 hour shift monthly from May 25- December 8, 2013
- Weekday and Weekend shifts available from 10:00am-1:15pm and 12:45-4:00pm
Age Requirement: 18 years or older
Background checks are required for all volunteers.
About the Exhibit:
Earthquakes. Tornadoes. Hurricanes. Volcanic eruptions. Tsunamis. These immense geological and meteorological forces shaped our planet and our world. Nature Unleashed: Inside Natural Disasters explores the fascinating science behind these powerful natural phenomena and highlights their impacts on human lives.Highly interactive and immersive, this exciting exhibition features visceral experiences, compelling media, and multi-disciplinary science that go beyond the sensational headlines to explore Earth's most impressive natural events. Nature Unleashed also features real objects that tell powerful stories—about natural disasters, and about the resilience and creativity of the people who survive and study them.