Teen Explainers wave on Zoom call
What is the Teen Game Design Challenge?
It's your chance to design and get help developing a new tabletop game, video game, or role-playing game. You may even win a prize for your design!
Starting in May 2021, you can join us for:
- Pre-challenge workshops to learn more about game design
- Drop-in sessions to help answer your design questions
- Play-test sessions to try out what you're designing
In addition to these sessions you'll receive support materials that help guide you through the game design process. Then, in July 2021, you'll have the chance to enter your design into our competion.
Due to COVID-19, all components of the Teen Game Design Challenge will be held virtually using the Zoom platform.
Who Can Sign Up?
Middle or high school students who are interested in playing games, learning about game design, and designing their own game - with parent/guardian permission! And, it's free to join the challenge!
Monday, May 3 - Reinventing a Classic (tabletop game design) Tuesday, May 4 - Designing with Found Objects (tabletop game design) Wednesday, May 5 - Designing with Scratch Level 1 (video game design)
- Thursday, May 6 - Designing with Scratch Level 2 (video game design)
- Thursday, May 20th - Kick-off Meeting*
- Wednesday, May 26th - Drop-in Help Session
- Wednesday, June 2nd - Playtest Session
- Wednesday, June 9th - Drop-in Help Session
- Wednesday, June 16th - Playtest Session
- Wednesday, June 23rd - Drop-in Help Session
- Wednesday, June 30th - Playtest Session
- Wednesday, July 7th - NHMU Challenge Submission Deadline (for submitting your game design)
- Wednesday, July 14th - Winners Announced
Sign Up Now to join our optional kick-off meeting, drop-in sessions or playtest sessions. All registrations must be complete by June 30, 2021.
Please email Linda Aaron (she/her).
Click here to subscribe to quarterly email updates on NHMU teen programs!