You received your field trip confirmation email – now what? Well-organized field trips help students – and teachers! – have successful and fun learning experiences at the Museum. Use the Teacher Checklist to help you plan your field trip. Haven't requested a field trip yet? Click here to go to the Field Trip Request Page.
Teacher Checklist (click here to download)
Before Your Field Trip
Double-check your confirmation email
- Check for date and time of arrival
- Verify that you have a lunch space reserved if needed
- Schedule your buses for the day of the field trip
Prepare your Teaching Team by sharing the Teacher Checklist and field trip information. Plan a Free Teacher Preview with your team to plan for your field trip - print off your confirmation email for free admission for the teaching team during regular business hours.
Prepare your Lead Explorers (chaperones) by reviewing the Lead Explorer Information here. NHMU requires that all Lead Explorers are prepared to guide students through learning experiences in their field trip. Lead Explorers are expected to follow Museum policies.
Watch and Share the Student and Lead Explorer Welcome Videos.
Field Trip Arrival
The day of your field trip has finally arrived! Depending on how your group will be arriving, print and bring one of the following checklists to help your visit go smoothly. Upon arrival each group will recieve an orientation and wristbands.
Arrival by bus or oversized van - Click here for bus arrival checklist
Arrival by private vehicles or public transportation - Click here for car arrival checklist
During Your Field Trip
We hope you enjoy your visit to NHMU and discover something new about the world around you. To help ensure a smooth and successful field trip for all please review the following:
Remember to get MORE out of your field trip.
M: Museum Mode. Please have calm bodies and quiet voices while at the Museum.
O: Observe. Use your senses to discover new things. Make sure to think before you touch to protect object. Also, all food, drink, and gum are not permitted in the Galleries.
R: Respect. Students, Lead Explorers, and Teachers are expected to respect each other and the policies of NHMU. Students in Elementary, Middle, and Junior High are required to stay with chaperones at all times. We ask that groups do not take the elevators unless medically necessary.
E: Explore Exhibits. There are so many things to learn and discover! What can you learn that is new?
NOTE: LUNCH SPACE ONLY AVAILABLE WITH CONFIRMED LUNCH SPACE RESERVATION
- Bring lunches in labeled large containers with handles (rubbermaid totes, laundry baskets, etc.)
- Arrive on time - you may only eat during your designated lunchtime in the designated area. Lunch periods are short. Prompt arrivals are a must.
- Encourage students, teachers and Lead Explorerers to bring lunch from home or school.
- If a school has two or more lunches students must be assigned to a specific lunch time.
- If a school has two or more lunches back to back the school must vacate the room inbetween lunches to allow for clean up by Museum staff. Thank you!
Even the best field trips must come to an end. Review the below information for a smooth departure.
- Return all Lead Explorer Lanyards to Museum Staff
- Perform your head count outside or on the bus in order to keep public areas clear for other visitors. Groups may not gather in Group Entrance hallway. Museum staff are available to help sweep Museum for students and Lead Explorers.
- Gather all stored belongings