What is the City Nature Challenge?
We are surrounded by nature in our neighborhoods, parks, and even in our downtowns. From April 26-29, 2019, residents of cities around the world are competing to document their local nature with iNaturalist. The city with the most observations of nature or who finds the most species is crowned the winner. The Natural History Museum of Utah is leading a City Nature Challenge team of seven counties (Box Elder, Cache, Weber, Davis, Salt Lake, Summit and Utah), for a unified "city" we are calling "The Wasatch."
Accept the Challenge
Participating in the City Nature Challenge is easy! If you are in Box Elder, Cache, Weber, Davis, Salt Lake, Summit or Utah County:
- Create an account on iNaturalist (and download the app for your android or iPhone)
- Find wildlife in your area (any wild living thing- or evidence of a living thing)
- Take a picture (or several) of what you find
- Share your observation on iNaturalist to contrubute to the City Nature Challenge!
Watch a short iNaturalist tutorial to learn how to make great observations:
- Click here for iNaturalist for iPhone
- Click here for iNaturalist for Android
Special thanks to our City Nature Challenge 2019 partners: