Here's everything you need to know to get ready for your Research Quest Livestream class. All times are Mountain Standard Time.
The Night Before Class
- Download and print the Research Assistant Notebook for your investigation. If you can’t print at home, consider writing the questions down on a separate piece of paper so your child or student has something to work on for the class.
- A link to the Research Assistant Notebook can be found on the page for your specific class.
- Find a spot in your house where your child can comfortably use a computer for 60-90 minutes.
- Test your computer and internet connection — from that location!
- Visit the Research Quest Live student site. We recommend using Chrome.
- Click play on the Live-stream at the top right of the website and make sure you can see and hear the test video.
Day of Class at 9:45 AM
- Have your Research Assistant Notebook and pencil with you.
- Visit the Research Quest Live student site.
- Click play on the Livestream in the top right hand corner and make sure you can see the video and hear the audio.
- Enter the Student Access Code: RQLIVE and click submit.
- Wait at the page that has a purple box on the left that says "The Mysteries of Cleveland-Lloyd DInosaur Quarry" and a green box on the right that says "Change in the Uinta Mountains."
- We'll get started at 10:00 AM MST and go till 11:30 AM MST. Make sure you're ready to go!
Live Q&A with Special Guests start at 12:00 PM
- Tune in after class for a half hour conversation with one of our Research Quest Live Special Guests. You'll be able to ask questions as we take a deeper dive into the subjects we're exploring in Research Quest.
- Be sure to share your research findings. We'll send a customized digitial Certificate of Completion for each class completed!
Tips to make the most of Research Quest Live
Here how to make the Research Quest Live experience as rich as possible:
- Ideally, work on this investigation with your child/student(s). If not, encourage your children/student(s) to work in pairs, if possible. Being able to discuss and share ideas helps all of us dive more deeply into our own thinking – expanding and building our own ideas and perspectives.
- Have fun with this! Research Quest investigations are rigorous and ask students to think critically about the evidence they gather and how to analyze it. In doing this, they will be able to develop an evidence based argument that answers our research question.
- There is not a right or wrong answer to this question. Instead, there are answers that are supported by evidence and answers that aren’t.
- Encourage your child/student(s) by asking them questions. Questions like “What do you see? What do you think? What does this make you wonder?” are really good ones.
- Share your answers after class! After class ends, go to the Student Certificate page to type the answers (and reasoning!) you came up with for our research question and provide feedback on Research Quest Live. Once you do, you will receive your NHMU Research Quest Live Certificate of Completion.