We are currently recruiting interns to work for various departments at the Natural History Museum of Utah. The requirements for this position make it a good fit for undergraduate or graduate students seeking experience in working in nonprofit and museum settings. Successful candidates will have excellent written and verbal communication skills; the ability to work independently but also collaboratively with staff members; and be highly organized, self-motivated, reliable, and resourceful.
We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds and academic disciplines to apply.
NHMU Interns must agree and commit to the following:
- Maintain professional behavior and demeanor at all times.
- Abide by the University of Utah Ethical Standards and Code of Conduct and the Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities.
- Maintain regular contact with NHMU supervisor (for training, guidance, documenting of hours, and other support or feedback).
- Work an average of 6-10 hours/week.
- Arrange alternatives with supervisor in case of schedule conflicts prior to scheduled hours (at least one week in advance).
- Immediately notify supervisor and/or Staffing and Student Opportunities Coordinator of any concern, problem, or incident that transpires during the internship.
- Complete and submit the post-internship evaluation form.
NHMU Supervisor agrees to facilitate student involvement and learning in the following ways:
- Be familiar with the broad course learning objectives and semester timeline.
- Provide academically relevant opportunities for university students.
- Provide an orientation to the mission and goals of the organization.
- Train and supervise the student, and meet regularly to provide guidance and feedback.
- Evaluate student performance and internship partnership at the end of the semester.
Once an internship application form is submitted and accepted, the intern is placed in a specific department and assigned a supervisor/mentor. Each internship position has unique learning objectives and required skills. Interns work directly with Museum staff and will perform tasks that accommodate their interests, skills, and experience, as well as the museum’s needs at the time of application.
Please review the descriptions of NHMU Internship opportunities before submitting an application form.