Set up account
iNaturalist helps you learn about the living things in your part of the world, while also contributing to science observations made to the site. Use these links to download the app to your mobile device.
Make an Observation!
NHMU iNaturalist Tips:
NHMU is creating user guides for making the best iNaturalist obervations you can, stay tuned for more!
Want to dive a little deeper? Help ID observations made by fellow iNaturalist Users.
Identifications help verify the scientific accuracy of an iNaturalist obervation, a core purpose of the platform, and help tell the story of nature being photographed around the globe. Identifiers on iNaturalist are a small, but mighty (and important!) group (more on that here). Identifying observastions on iNaturalist takes some expertise. iNaturalist notes that identifying organisms is a lifelong journey - like becoming aquainted with your own neighbors and neighborhood- and you can get started anytime! Benefits of making IDs include:
- Learn about nature - Making IDs helps you get better aquainted with your local nature, or explore nature around the globe.
- Make better observations - As you ID, you will notice images that are both useful, or not useful - which in turn will help you make better observations.
- Find Community - Connect with other iNaturalist users: amateur naturalists, experts, science professionals, land managers, etc.
- Contribute to Science - your IDs wil help confirm or contribute to the iNaturalist community's opinion of an organism
Best practices & tools:
- Only ID to the best of your ability
- How to become a better Identifier
- Identification tool tutorial on iNaturalist