What's a Teen Explainer?
Teen Explainers are young Museum staff who will use fun hands-on activities to engage Museum guests in creative science learning.
Explainers will interact with guests in the Museum galleries to spark excitement and curiosity and expand guests’ learning about Museum exhibits.
Let Us Explain
What Will You Do?
- Begin as an apprentice with other Teen Explainers participating in training on engaging guests in the galleries, science process skills, and creating dynamic learning experiences
- Once an Explainer has successfully completed the 16-hour unpaid apprenticeship, they will be eligible to become a paid employee of the Museum. Teen Explainers who complete the hiring process will also receive 5 paid hours as recognition for fulfilling their apprenticeship.
- Enrich the museum experience with hands-on activities and interactive demonstrations
- Join other Teen Explainers on field trips to explore the natural world
Who Should Apply?
Eligible candidates are high school students between the ages of 14 and 18 who are curious, mature, open-minded, and excited to learn more about science and the natural world. Candidates should have an interest in learning and helping others learn, and the ability to work as a team member. Teen Explainers must be able to attend all required trainings.
Why Participate? It's More Than a Job
Teen Explainers will:
- strengthen their communication skills
- increase self-confidence
- gain a deeper understanding of science and appreciation for the natural world
- make new friends and share fun experiences with peers
- make a difference in their community
- enjoy valuable work experience that enhances future college or job applications
What's Your Time Commitment?
Teen Explainers will work approximately 15 hours per month – Wednesday evenings from 6:30 – 8:30pm and selected three hour shifts on two Saturdays per month.
What if I'm Not Available Wednesday Evenings?
You could apply for the Teen Explainers summer cohort! Summer Teen Explainers have the same experience and the same number of hours as School Year Teen Explainers, but they can meet during the daytime since they aren’t in school. Summer Teen Explainers meet twice during the week and work in the galleries four times per month, some weekdays and some Saturdays. Look for the summer application link on this site in April.
How to Apply:
Online applications must be submitted no later than 7 p.m. Wednesday, September 25, 2019. Selected applicants will be invited to participate in an interactive group interview at the Natural History Museum of Utah either Wednesday, October 2, from 6:30-8:30 p.m. or Saturday, October 5 sometime between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Applicants accepted to the program will be notified by e-mail the following Monday, October 7. Required Wednesday evening training sessions will begin October 9, 6:30-8:30 p.m.