Your cart is empty.
Self-Guided Field Trips
Start planning your field trip to the Museum!
Wanting to book a summer field trip? Click here!
Wanting to book a same-day field trip experience with Natural History Museum of Utah and Red Butte Garden? Click here!
If you have any questions, please email Jenny at (quickest response) or call 801.585.5237.
Thanks for your interest in visiting the Natural History Museum of Utah.
We offer self-guided field trips for pre-K-12 grade students. Led by educators and chaperones, self-guided field trips allow you the opportunity to customize your museum visit to the needs of your students.
Step 1: Click here to request your field trip.
Please submit your request at least 2 weeks prior to your visit. You should immediately receive an email confirming your request. Submitting a request does not guarantee a reservation.
Step 2: Watch for your confirmation email.
You should receive this within 5-10 business days.
Step 3: Customize your field trip.
Click here for some helpful resources.
Step 4: Prepare your chaperones.
Communicate your expectations with chaperones and have groups assigned prior to your museum visit.
Step 5: Enjoy your visit to the Natural History Museum of Utah.
Please stay on your bus until a greeter arrives with further instructions. Also, we request that you conduct the final head count on the bus at the time of departure instead of in the museum.
Need to make changes to your reservation? Click here
Utah Public Schools
Higher Education Institutions (Universities and Colleges)
Out of State Public Schools
Day Care, Private After School, Scouts, Home Schools, etc.
*Reservations must be made in advance*
Click here to request your field trip.
Previewing the Museum
- You and your teaching team are encouraged to visit the Museum before your visit. You can visit for free by printing off your confirmation email and presenting it with your ID at the ticket desk. Our guest services staff will print you a Teacher Preview Ticket.
- Only teachers coming on a field trip are able to preview the Museum for free.
- Sign up to attend a FREE 3-hour Field Trip Workshop before bringing your students to the Museum.
- Payment is due upon your arrival.
- The Museum accepts checks, credit and debit cards, and cash. If you need to make a payment with a P.O. you will need to contact us prior to your visit in order to make that arrangement.
If you have received confirmation for your lunch reservation, you should be aware of the following:
- You may eat only during your designated lunchtime and only in the designated lunch area.
- The designated lunch spaces for school groups are the Community Room and the Canyon Lobby. It is located on Level 2, by the group entrance and near the Café.
- Your group should leave the galleries a few minutes early in order to arrive at the Community Room on time for lunch.
- Please make sure your students are not eating near the Café, nor on tables outside.
- The Museum will provide wagons for you to store your lunches in. They will be available upon your arrival, and will be stored in the Community Room.
- You and your chaperones should have students wash their hands in the restrooms, which can be found on every level near the elevators. Please allow enough time to exit the galleries, wash hands, and arrive at the Community Room on time for lunch.
Double-Check Your Date!
- When you are scheduling your buses, sending out requests for chaperones and permission slips, and putting your field trip on the school calendar, please double check the date you are scheduled to come as listed in your confirmation email.