Your cart is empty.
Volunteers play a vital role at the Natural History Museum of Utah. They work in every department of the Museum and contribute thousands of service hours each year. Whether you want to work behind the scenes with our collections, share your passion for natural history with guests, facilitate field trips for school kids, or put your organizational skills to work for our Registrar, we've got a volunteer position that will spark your interest and utilize your talents. Volunteer today! If you have questions, email the volunteer program.
Join the NHMU Volunteer Team!
- Community Outreach: Bring science into the community by engaging the public in activities at events across the state. Click here for more details.
- School Programs - Junior Science Academy Classroom Assistant: Engage students in natural history and science in a classroom setting at the Museum. Click here for more details.
- School Programs - STEM Lab Facilitator: Engage visiting students in open-ended science exploration in one of the Museum's gallery labs. Click here for more details.
- School Programs - Field Trip Assistant: Orient visiting students to the Museum, support teachers and chaperones, and engage students in learning while in the Museum galleries. Click here for more details.
- School Programs - Field Trip Visitor Experience Assistant: Facilitate the departure of field trip visitors by providing directional guidance and evaluating the experience of students, teachers, and chaperones. Click here for more details.
- Youth Teaching Youth (YTY) Mentor: Guide high school participants of the YTY program in weekly science training and activities. Click here for more details.
- Animal Handler: Engage guests with live animals to create excitement for Utah's natural world. Click here for more details.
Watch for future openings in these positions
- Collections - Paleontology, Anthropology, Vertebrates, Entomology, Herbarium
- Gallery Interpreter - Anthropology, Biology, Paleontology, Special Exhibits
- Highlights Tour Guide
- Paleontology Lab Fossil Preparator
- Paleontology Field Assistant
- Summer Camp Assistant
- Creature Care Volunteer
- Registrar Volunteer
- A criminal background check is required for all volunteer positions at the Museum for participants over the age of 18.
- A $25 processing fee will be assessed for all volunteers. Accepted applicants with limited financial resources may request a fee waiver.
NHMU Volunteer Benefits
- Free admission to the Museum
- Museum guest passes
- Discount for the Museum Store, Membership & Cafe
Apply Online Now!
General Volunteer Application: This is the application for participants interested in general volunteer opportunities.
Pre-Arranged Volunteer Application: This is the application for participants who have already made arrangements with an NHMU staff member to volunteer in their area.
* Please read the full position description to make sure you are able to meet all requirements.