Your cart is empty.
Volunteers play a vital role at the Natural History Museum of Utah. They work in every department of the Museum and contribute thousands of service hours each year. Whether you want to work behind the scenes with our collections, share your passion for natural history with guests, facilitate field trips for school kids, or put your organizational skills to work for our Registrar, we've got a volunteer position that will spark your interest and utilize your talents. Volunteer today! If you have questions, email the volunteer program.
Join the NHMU Volunteer Team!
- Summer Camp Assistant: Instill an appreciation and understanding of science in kids attending summer camps at the Museum. Click here for more details.
- School Programs - Field Trip Assistant: Orient visiting students to the Museum, support teachers and chaperones, and engage students in learning while in the Museum galleries. Click here for more details.
- School Programs - Field Trip Visitor Experience Assistant: Facilitate the departure of field trip visitors by providing directional guidance and evaluating the experience of students, teachers, and chaperones. Click here for more details.
- Youth Teaching Youth (YTY) Mentor: Guide high school participants of the YTY program in weekly science training and activities. Click here for more details.
- Anthropology Gallery Interpreter: Interact with guests using conversation and hands-on activities in our Native Voices and First Peoples exhibits. Click here for more details.
- Biology Gallery Interpreter: Interact with guests using conversation and hands-on activities in our Life and Great Salt Lake exhibits. Click here for more details.
- Paleontology Gallery Interpreter: Interact with guests using conversation and hands-on activities in our Past Worlds and Land exhibits. Click here for more details.
- Paleontology Field Assistant: Join our Paleontology team in the field to survey for and excavate fossil material. Click here for more details.
- Teen Explainer: Interact with guests in our upcoming special exhibit, Vikings. This program is just for teens age 15-18. Click here to learn more about the Teen Explainer Program.
Watch for future openings in these positions
- Collections - Paleontology, Anthropology, Vertebrates, Entomology, Herbarium
- Paleontology Lab Fossil Preparator
- School Programs - Junior Science Academy Classroom Assistant, STEM Lab Facilitator
- Community Outreach
- Animal Handler
- Highlights Tour Guide
- Creature Care Volunteer
- Registrar Volunteer
- A criminal background check is required for all volunteer positions at the Museum for participants over the age of 18.
- A $25 processing fee will be assessed for all volunteers. Accepted applicants with limited financial resources may request a fee waiver.
NHMU Volunteer Benefits
- Free admission to the Museum
- Museum guest passes
- Discount for the Museum Store, Membership & Cafe
Apply Online Now!
Paleontology Field Assistant Application: This is the application for participants interested in becoming a paleontology field assistant volunteer.
- Participants 18 years or older apply here.
Summer Camp Assistant Application: This is the application for participants interested in becoming a summer camp assistant volunteer.
General Volunteer Application: This is the application for participants interested in general volunteer opportunities.
Pre-Arranged Volunteer Application: This is the application for participants who have already made arrangements with an NHMU staff member to volunteer in their area.
* Please read the full position description to make sure you are able to meet all requirements.