Your cart is empty.
Volunteers play a vital role at the Natural History Museum of Utah. They work in every department of the Museum and contribute thousands of service hours each year. Whether you want to work behind the scenes with our collections, share your passion for natural history with guests, facilitate field trips for school kids, or put your organizational skills to work for our Registrar, we've got a volunteer position that will spark your interest and utilize your talents. Volunteer today! If you have questions, email the volunteer program.
Join the NHMU Volunteer Team!
- Guest Experience Survey Facilitator: Help to evaluate visitor experiences in order to better understand who visits the Museum, when they visit, and how they heard about us. Click here for more details.
- Junior Science Academy Classroom Assistant: Guide field trip guests in hands-on activities in a classroom setting. Click here for more details.
- Field Trip Assistant: Provide orientation and support for K-12 school groups upon arrival and in the galleries. Click here for more details.
- STEM Lab Facilitator: Use hands-on activities with field trip guests in our science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) laboratory. Click here for more details.
- Special Exhibit STEM Lab Gallery Interpreter: Work in conjunction with NHMU’s upcoming special exhibit, Nature’s Ultimate Machines, to spark excitement, curiosity, and an appreciation for STEM through facilitating open-ended, hands-on activities and creative projects in one of the Museum’s learning labs. Click here for more details.
Watch for future openings in these positions
- Collections - Paleontology, Anthropology, Vertebrates, Entomology, Herbarium, Mycology
- Paleontology Lab Fossil Preparator
- Paleontology Field Assistant
- School Programs - Gallery Guru, Youth Teaching Youth Mentor
- Gallery Interpreter - Anthropology, Biology, or Paleontology
- Animal Handler, Creature Care
- Summer Camp Assistant
- Citizen Science Volunteers
- Community Outreach
- Registrar Volunteer
- Landscape Steward
- A criminal background check is required for all volunteer positions at the Museum for participants over the age of 18.
- A $25 processing fee will be assessed for all volunteers. Accepted applicants with limited financial resources may request a fee waiver.
NHMU Volunteer Benefits
- Free admission to the Museum
- Museum guest passes
- Discount for the Museum Store, Membership & Cafe
Apply Online Now!
General Volunteer Application: This is the application for participants interested in general volunteer opportunities.
Pre-Approved Volunteer Application: This is the application for participants who have already made arrangements with an NHMU staff member to volunteer in their area.
* Please read the full position description to make sure you are able to meet all requirements.