The Science Communication Fellows Program provides training to scientists and researchers to improve their science communication, especially in an informal science education setting.
Fellows build their capacity for science communication by participating in four professional development workshops as well as three NHMU public programs.
The Science Communication Fellows Programs operates in partnership with Portal to the Public, as an NSF funded program.
About the SCFP 2018 Workshops:
Time TBD @ Fellow's Workspace
from at the NHMU
Who Should Sign Up?
About the SCFP Public Programs:
Fellows participate in two Scientist in the Spotlight programs and one Science Café event.
Scientist in the Spotlight Program: Fellows will provide the general public with a window into their current research by telling stories and showcasing their field equipment, lab tools, and research specimens in an informal, open-house, face-to-face environment.
Science Café Program: Fellows will present their current research in an informal Ted Talk-like format.
- Enhance your science communication skills in a dynamic, engaging, and participatory workshop setting.
- Develop a hands-on educational activity which you can use in multiple educational settings beyond the Natural History Museum of Utah.
- Receive letters of acknowledgement and documentation suitable for sharing with supervisors and for grant reporting.
- Receive consultation and assistance in designing and writing broader impact plans to fulfill grant and other outreach requirements.
- Network with local scientists committed to public engagement and education professionals.
- Discount at the NHMU museum store and cafe.
- Free admission to NHMU galleries and special exhibits for you and your immediate family.
How to Apply:
- William Barbeau, Undergraduate Student, Biochemistry
- Thomas Brussel, Graduate Student, Paleoecologist
- Steven Denham, Graduate Student, Microbiologist
- Brittany Fleming, Graduate Student, Microbiologist
- Graham Goodman, Graduate Student, Parasitologist
- Julia McGonigle, Graduate Student, Enviornmental Microbiologist
- Christopher Miles, Graduate Student, Mathematical Biologist
- Shahrzad Motamedi, Graduate Student, Enviornmental Microbiologist
- Shuba Narayanan, Graduate Student, Human Geneticist
- Audrey Rutz, Pediatrics Genetic Counselor
- Angela Snow, Senior Lab Specialist, Cancer Geneticist
- Courtney Wagner, Graduate Student, Geobiologist
- Alan Achenbach, Graduate Student, Biological Anthropology
- Stacie Bender, Geospatial Specialist, Geospatial Technology and Applications Center
- Kathleen Bennett, Graduate Student, Human Genetics
- Kelsey Cone, Graduate Student, Human Genetics
- Brenden J Fischer, Graduate Researcher, Geology and Geophysics
- Joshua Horns, Graduate Student, Biology
- Janet Iwasa, Research Assistant Professor, Biochemistry
- Evan Kipnis, Graduate Research Assistant/PhD Student, Geology and Geophysics
- Elizabeth Looby, Masters Student, Geography
- Joseph Plasek, PhD Candidate, Biomedical Informatics
- Rodolfo Probst, Graduate Student, Biology
- Ellyse Simons, NHMU Archeology Lab Graduate Student/Research Assistant, Anthropology
- Rosalie Waller, PhD Candidate, Biomedical Informatics
- Blanca Yagüe, International PhD Student, Cultural Anthropology
- Deeptha Vasudevan, PhD Candidate, Developmental Neurobiologist, Neurobiology and Anatomy
- Andrew Bartlow, Graduate Student, Parasite Ecologist
- Eric Bogenschutz, Graduate Student, Molecular Biologist
- Evan Buechley, PhD Candidate, Conservation Biologist
- Marc Calaf, Assistant Professor, Wind Energy Expert
- Bob Cieri, Graduate Student, Functional Morphologist
- La'Shaye Cobley, Graduate Student, Urban Ecologist
- Nicole Herzog, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Behavioral Ecologist
- Elizabeth Johnson, Herbarium, Garrett Herbarium Collections Manager
- Lisbeth Louderback, Archeo Botanist
- Christy Mancuso, PhD. Candidate, Isotope Ecologist
- David Parrott, Postdoctoral Fellow, Plant Physiologist
- Anna Vickrey, Graduate Student, Evolutionary Biologist
- Julia Carleton, Graduate Student, Genome Biologist
- Vachel Carter, Graduate Student, Paleoecologist
- Allison Chan, Graduate Student, Ecohydrologist
- Christina Cloutier, Graduate Student, Primatologist
- Kevin Davenport, Graduate Student, Experimental Physicist
- Teri Edwards, Graduate Student, Environmental Biologist
- Kathryn A. Mohlenhoff, Graduate Student, Graduate Student
- Jeremy Morris, Graduate Student, Functional Biologist
- Pablo J. Maldonado, Graduate Student, Neuroscientist
- Shrinvasan Rahuraman, Graduate Student, Neurobiologist
- Jerry Schneider, Graduate Student, Chemical Ecologist
- Nicole Torosin, Graduate Student, Molecular Anthropologist
- David Belnap, Faculty, Structural Virology
- Mark Chynoweth, Graduate Student, Large Carnivorous Animal Biology
- Rusty Greaves, Faculty, Ethno Archeology
- Patrice Kurnath, Graduate Student, Woodrat Biology
- Eric Martin, Graduate Student, Zoology Archeology
- Ryan McLaughlin, Graduate Student, LED Spintronics
- Paris Morgan, Undergrad Student, Geology
- Brian Simonds, Graduate Student, Photovoltaics
- Georgia Sinimbu, Graduate Student, Extrafloral Nectarie Biology
- Johanna Varner, Graduate Student, Pika Biology
- David Wheatly, Graduate Student, Geology
- Michael Zaccheo, Faculty, Biological Anthropology
For More Information:
Please contact Paulmichael Maxfield by email: or by phone: (801) 585-5920.