Excite and educate your students about the natural sciences with NHMU's Teaching Toolboxes. Each of these teaching resource kits—complete with touchable specimens, reproducible materials, and related literature—will engage your classroom and spark curiosity in the natural world. Designed by the staff of NHMU for K–12 students and community groups, our toolboxes explore a variety of subjects. Teaching Toolboxes are available to check out from the Museum for free and can be reserved for a one and a half week period.
See below for a complete list of all Teaching Toolboxes with links to learn more and make reservations.
Unsure of how to use the Teaching Toolboxes during the current public health crisis? Check out the 2020-2021 Toolbox Usage Guide for ideas on how to use these resources safely!
Please note that due to high demand each teacher will be limited to four boxes for the 2020-2021 school year. All toolboxes will be fully santized and properly quarantined between reservations to maintain safe usage.
A toolbox may be available at a partner location closer to you! Before making a reservation at NHMU, check which toolboxes are already available at offsite locations near you.
Pick-up and drop-off
- Toolboxes are available for pick-up and drop-off at time chosen during the reservation process. Toolboxes will not be available outside of designated time.
- The pick-up date is the Saturday listed in your confirmation email
- The drop-off date is the Wednesday one and a half weeks after the pick-up date.
- Please help us by returning toolboxes on time so other educators can use them and so we can properly clean them. If your toolbox is returned late it will be subject to a late fee.
- If you need to change your pick-up or drop-off time please email