It's as Easy as Taking a Photo!
Nature is all around us in Northern Utah – and we need your help photographing it from April 30-May 3, 2021, during The City Nature Challenge! This annual international effort encourages people to find and photograph plants and wildlife in cities around the globe using iNaturalist. We call our "city" The Wasatch (a combination of Box Elder, Cache, Davis, Salt Lake, Summit, Utah, Wasatch, and Weber Counties), and we are one of over 400 cities worldwide taking part.
Participating is Easy
Take Photos of Wild Things
- What does this include? ANY plants, animals, fungi, etc. that you see in and around your city. Boxelder bug! Weed in the sidewalk! Robin in the yard!
- Do this on your own, or join a CNC event in Utah!
Add Photos to iNaturalist
- It's a free platform you can use on a phone or computer. Learn more.
- Photos must be taken from April 30–May 3, 2021 to count toward the CNC.
- iNaturalist tips
Have Questions? See our City Nature Challenge FAQ's.
Other Citizen Science Opportunities
Want to join the fun? You can take pictures and add them to iNaturalist on your own anytime during the CNC. NHMU and our partners also have many virtual resources, challenges, programs, and in-person events you can take advantage of the following virtual and in-person programming.
Revist Virtual Programs
- Neighborhood Nature: Spring in Utah! Presentation with local biologists
- Stay Curious Utah lessons for students
Drag your mouse over the map and click the pins to learn more about programs happening in person throughout northern Utah.
Exploring on your own? Here are some suggestions for places to visit:
- Your own neighborhood - You might be surprised how many wild living things you can find close by!
- Visit a new place - The Wasatch CNC project spans 8 Utah couties, take this time to safely explore a place you've never been before.
- Natural History Museum of Utah - Enjoy the many hiking trails around NHMU.
- Fife Wetland Preserve - This SLC Preserve is an area of interest for NHMU researchers.
- Nature Centers and Preserves - the map above lists several locations you are encouraged to explore on-you-own, from Utah CNC partners, like The Nature Conservancy, Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge, and Ogden Nature Center.
Continuing Education Resources:
- Explore results, continue to discover local biodiversity, and prepare for the 2021 Challenge with this City Nature Challenge Education Toolkit
- Host a bioblitz around your home with National Geographic Backyard Bioblitz
- Explore Common Utah Birds with this guide from the Tracy Aviary
- Explore nature in and around your home
iNaturalist Video Tutorials: